Monday, December 16, 2013

My Motherhood..

Today my oldest child; Morgan-Britney is 22. It's hard to believe that 22 years has passed by but then some days I can definitely believe it has.

Looking back I remember that scared 16 had old girl who was pregnant and didn't know what to do. For months I ignored my pregnancy hoping it would go away. If I pretended it wasn't true maybe it wouldn't be.  9 weeks into the pregnancy I realized that wasn't working and I had to face what was really going on inside my body.

Standing in the shower one month after her conception and one month before my 16th birthday I was so nauseous. It was that instant I knew I was pregnant. I didn't need to see that second pink line to know.

Being a young mama wasn't easy. It was scary, hard, fun, confusing and lonely. When I married my love 3 years after my daughter's birth I was so ready. I didn't want to walk the parenting road alone any longer.

As my daughter has grown I have also. I have changed from a young fearful girl into a woman. I have met my Lord and given my heart to Him. I have met and married a wonderful man who is still my husband almost 19 yrs later. I have had 11 more children. I have experienced wonderful times and laughter and loss and sadness.

I have grown as a parent and as a mama. I started out with the "I will never do that's" and "my child will never..(filll in the blank). I have realized I will and have done that and my child has or will do this. I have realized motherhood is hard, tiring and crazy but also fulfilling and wonderful!

I have changed my parenting style as my wisdom has grown. I have learned to pick my battles and choose my priorities.

I now smile sweetly at those mama's who have a screaming baby in their arms or the baby screaming in his car seat in the grocery store. I understand. I've been there. I pass no judgment. Instead I hope to offer love and comfort.

I have learned to leave the motherhood contests behind. I am no longer willing to join in the game. Aren't we all just trying to do our best and love them? These blessings Father gave us to raise.  

As our children get older we realize how little those things matter. What we are left with is how much we loved them.. How much time we gave them and the quality of those moments.

My advice to new mama's? Love your children! Hug them! Snuggle them! Listen to them. Really hear what they say. Involve yourself in their life. Slow down and value each moment. Those babies that you can't imagine as a 22 year old will grow up and one day leave your home. It happens so quickly.

Don't forget to breathe! And smile! Oh and laugh too! Laugh a lot! Dance with your children!
Sing with them! Make memories together!

As Ann Voskamp says in One Thousand Gifts: Life is not an emergency!

 Allow yourself the room to change and grow. Don't root your feet to the ground unwilling to move. We evolve as parents and as women. Father teaches and we become new...





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails